Floods in southern Alberta have caused thousands of people (some say close to 100,000) to evacuate from their homes, and four people have been reported dead in High River.
The Saddledome, the home of the Calgary Flames, has been flooded ten rows deep. The venue is also one of the feature buildings for the Calgary Stampede, scheduled to begin July 5. There has been no word on how these events will impact the annual Stampede.
Otherwise, people are saying this may be the worst weather disaster in Canadian history, and that costs to repair extensive damage will be upwards of 1 billion dollars.
What you can do to help:
- Donate to the Red Cross to help relief efforts for those who have had to leave their homes. You can donate here.
- If you’re in Alberta looking for evacuated family members, call this number: 1-888-800-6493
- If you live in the Calgary area, sign up for this Facebook event to help with clean up efforts once the water goes down.
- If you’re in High River and own a boat you can volunteer, call the RCMP at 403-652-2357
- Follow the twitter hashtages #yycflood and #abflood for up to date info from citizens, police, and government.
Stay safe, Albertans!